Vietnam Visa Extension and Renewal 2020
This article will explain the customers all the information about Vietnam visa extension and renewal so that you can extend your stay permit in Vietnam without leaving the country. It covers:
But before you go, kindly be noted that:
1. If you entered Vietnam with Visa Exemptions, E-Visas or Tourist Visas from March 1, 2020, you will be eligible for “automatic stay permit extension” until July 31, 2020, and are allowed to exit Vietnam at any time until July 31 without following any stay permit extension procedure. It means that if you are in Vietnam under those visa categories, you entered the country on or after March 1, 2020 and your visa becomes expired before July 31, 2020, you can leave Vietnam after your visa expiry date, but by July 31, 2020, without penalty for overstaying.
►This is very important to understand that it means you don’t have to extend your visa to EXIT Vietnam by July 31, 2020. However, if you intend to stay in Vietnam after July 31, 2020, then you do need a visa extension.
If you entered BEFORE March 1, 2020, you will be eligible for the same policy if you show either of the following documents:
► A certification by your diplomatic mission in Vietnam through an official Diplomatic Note stating that you are stuck in Vietnam due to Covid 19 (attached with a translation in Vietnamese);
► Documents issued by the Vietnamese authorities certifying that you have undergone quarantine or treatment for COVID-19 or are stuck here due to reasons beyond your control.
You are required to show those documents when exiting Vietnam to ensure no charge for overstaying.
► Again, this works only for those who will leave Vietnam by July 31, 2020.
2. In case you are eligible for an “automatic stay extension”, you are required to declare your temporary stay to local police and complete health declaration.
3. If you don’t meet the conditions in section 1 or have committed illegal actions, you shall be subject to the current laws of Vietnam.
For example, those in Vietnam under a business visa are required to extend visa before its expiry date.
What is visa extension or renewal?
This section will let you know what is exactly visa extension and renewal in Vietnam and how they are different from each other.
Visa extension is an action that is applied for foreigners who wish to prolong their current stay in Vietnam without leaving the country. By this action, you will get an extension stamp on your passport indicating your new stay duration.
Note: Visa extension is good for single entry only.
Visa renewal almost the same as visa extension as it also allows foreigners to extend their stay in Vietnam without leaving the country.
However, if you renew visa, you will be granted a new visa sticker and stay duration stamp on your passport with the new duration permission. And therefore, the visa renewal fee is higher than the visa extension fee because you must pay stamping fee and visa sticker fee.
Note: This service is now not offered by the Vietnam Immigration Office. We will keep you updated immediately upon new developments.
Visa Extension/Renewal Requirements
To extend/review Vietnam visa, your original passport must:
- be valid for at least 06 months from the time of extension/renewal.
- have at least 02 blank pages.
Why should you choose a visa extension?
- The only choice to continue remaining in Vietnam legally after your visa expiry date without leaving the country as visa run is not available during COVID 19
- Save your cost as the extension fee is much cheaper than the renewal fee.
- Avoid being taken into the blacklist of the Vietnam Immigration Department because of overstaying.
- Have more time to settle your business in Vietnam which might be interrupted if you leave Vietnam and then come back with a new visa, or cannot come back in COVID 19.
Where to Extend Visa in Vietnam
The following Immigration offices are those in charge of extending visa in Vietnam.
- Hanoi immigration office: 44-46 Tran Phu, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
- Immigration office in Da Nang: 78 Le Loi, Thach Thang, Hai Chau, Da Nang
- Immigration office in Ho Chi Minh City: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh city
- Working hours: Monday-Friday (Morning: 7am – 11h30am; Afternoon: 1h30pm – 5pm) and Saturday (Morning time only)
Vietnam Visa Extension Cost and Duration
The visa extension Vietnam can be applied for types of visa as below:
- extend original visa exemption for up to 3 months;
- extend original 1 month visa (tourist/business) for up to 3 months;
- extend original 3 months visa (tourist/business) for up to 3 months;
- extend original 5 years visa exemption certificate for up to 6 months;
- extend original e-visa for up to 3 months;
- extend 1 year visa for US passport holder (tourist/business) for up to 3 months;
- extend temporary stay of APEC Business Travel Card holders for up to 3 months.
Kindly note that the cost and length to extend Vietnam visa will depend on your original visa and also the duration you want to extend.
T: 024.66888684 / 0989.313339
Quảng Binh & Miền Trung: 64 Hoang Dieu Str, Dong Hoi City, Quang Binh
0232.3868666 / 0232.3836333/ 090 3295 730
Huế / Đà Nẵng: 37A Pastuer Str, Hai Chau Dist, Da Nang
0989313339 | 0988 262616
Email: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org